Getting stuck with a flat tire happens more often than you may think. Yet, most people are unaware of even the basics on how to best handle a situation with a flat tire. FW Towing Fort Worth has years of experience in providing roadside assistance. While it is always best to immediately call a professional, we believe that drivers on the road should be aware of some of the basic safety procedures when dealing with a flat tire or trying to change a tire.
The Basics on Fixing a Flat Tire from FW Towing Fort Worth:
At Towing Fort Worth, your safety on the road is our top concern always. If you get stuck with a flat tire in Fort Worth, please give us a call at (817) 886-8332. In the meanwhile, you should get properly prepared by doing the following:
- Firstly, turn the hazard lights on and ensure that the car that needs the flat tire repair is parked in the most level area possible and that the parking brake is on. It is also important to be right off the road to avoid the danger of being hit by a passing car.
- Do you have a spare tire? The spare tire can be found in the trunk along with the lug nut wrench and car jack.
The following instructions are for your knowledge if you decide to try changing the flat tire on your own. We of course recommend calling for professional and certified roadside assistance, but here are the basics you should absolutely know:
- It is important to loosen the lug nuts that hold the wheel in place before you jack up the car. To loosen the nuts the wrench has to be turned counter clockwise.
- When jacking up the car, refer to the driver’s manual to ensure that the jack is placed in the safest area possible. It is important to jack the car high enough as to leave enough space (an inch or two) for removing the flat tire and easy placement of the spare tire.
- Now remove all of the lug nuts and place them somewhere easy to reach and easily found. The flat tire should now be taken off. Once the flat tire is removed, roll the tire to a safe area; don’t try to pick it up as this may result in a stained back or other injury.
- Carefully lift and fit the spare tire onto the wheel studs. Always remember that when placing a spare tire onto the wheel studs the air valve must be facing out.
- Replace the lug nuts and tighten them by hand. Then take the lug wrench and tighten them further, although not too tightly or else they will be impossible to loosen should another flat tire occur.
- Lastly place the hubcap back on and return the fix flat tire tools to the trunk.
- Once you have successfully changed your flat tire, remember to replace the spare tire as soon as possible.
Towing Fort Worth operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year so you can rest assured that if you blow a tire, you can get immediate and expert help! You will need to have a spare in order for our qualified tow truck operators to help you.
Be safe on the road and always be aware of your surroundings. Towing Fort Worth can provide expert flat tire changes, car battery jump starts, car locksmith services, and a range of towing services. If you get caught with a flat tire, you can trust that FW Towing Fort Worth will be able to help you immediately! Call us at (817) 886-8332 and a tow truck technician can arrive in 15-30 minutes!